Dry Eye Testing and Treatment
Dry eyes are a problem which affect up to 30% of the population and is characterised by insufficient tears. Dry eye can afflict anyone of any age, but is more common as we age and produce a smaller volume of tears. Menopause and excessive computer use can also cause dry eye symptoms to surface earlier.
David offers the latest research based treatments for dry eye including IPL (Intense Pulse Light) therapy.
IPL therapy utilises infra-red light of a specific wavelength to target inflamed vessels in the eyelids, shutting them down. These vessels – called telangiectactic vessels – are familiar to anyone with acne rosacea, and look like tiny spider veins. They are bad news for dry eye, as they invade the eyelid margins and consequently inflame the important oil-producing glands of the eyelids – the meibomian glands.
David has found great success with IPL therapy in conjunction with other Dry Eye treatment methods. If you are suffering the following symptoms, book an appointment to see David for a consultation and treatment plan.
- Occasional blurred vision
- Itchiness (particularly in the corners of the eyes)
- Tired eyes (a feeling like you need to close the eyes)
- Mucus around the eyelids, particularly upon waking
- A feeling of grittiness, or the sensation of something foreign in the eye (like an eyelash or a grain of sand)